Medline Maxorb Extra Ag Silver Alginate Dressing
Maxorb® Extra Ag Silver Alginate is a highly absorbent, non-woven pad composed of a high G (guluronic acid) calcium alginate, carboxymethylcellulose (CMC) and ionic silver.
How It Works: Exposure to wound exudate dissolves the silver in the dressing and stimulates the release of silver ions. As more fluid is absorbed over time, more silver ions are released, creating a controlled-release antimicrobial effect. The silver ions protect from a broad spectrum of microorganisms, including MRSA and VRE. Plus Maxorb® Extra Ag releases silver in extremely small amounts that do not damage healthy tissue.
Features of this advanced wound care dressing:
- Sustained antimicrobial protection - Offers controlled-release ionic silver for up to four days.
- Highly absorbent - Maxorb Extra Ag absorbs more than other alginate or absorbent silver dressings.
- Reduces odor - Odor in wounds is primarily caused by bacteria, and so by providing an antibacterial barrier to combat bacteria absorbed in the wound exudate, odor is reduced.
- Fluid will not wick laterally - Wound exudate mixes with Maxorb Extra Ag to form a gel that will not wick out, reducing the potential for damage to periwound skin.
- Superior gelling and fluid handling - The CMC fiber in Maxorb Extra Ag improves the vertical wicking and fluid handling as well as the wet strength.
• Moderate to heavily exudating partial to full thickness wounds
• Post-operative wounds
• Trauma wounds
• Leg ulcers
• Pressure ulcers
• Diabetic ulcers
• Graft and donor sites
• Third-degree burns
• Dry or lightly exudating wounds
• Individuals with a known sensitivity to alginates or silver
• To control heavy bleeding
• Surgical implantation
• Dressing change frequency will depend on wound condition and the level of exudate. Initially it may be necessary to change the dressing every 24 hours.
• Maxorb Extra Ag Silver Alginate may be left in place for up to 4 days. Dressing change frequency will depend on the amount of drainage present and your physician’s instructions.
Order by the sheet (sheet size is 2"x2").